Oh, boy, do I have a treat for you this Self Care Sunday! This is a great summer recipe that adds a lot of nutrition (Health Snapshot below), while also pleasing your palate at snack or desert time. It is a Mint Chocolate Chia Pudding that will stop you in your tracks…make you it eat…and then make you rave about it. It is that good.
Mint Chocolate Chia Pudding or “Pudding in a Cloud”
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 2 T Cocoa Powder
- 2 T Coconut Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1/2 t Vanilla
- 1/4 C Chia Seeds
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 drop** Vitality Peppermint Essential Oil (Do not use a brand with fillers, just skip it instead.)
- For serving: sliced strawberries, ceylon cinnamon, coconut cream or whipped cream, or your favorites
- Put the chia seeds in a blender* and blend until they look ground (30-60 seconds).
- Add the Cocoa Powder, Sugar, Vanilla, Coconut Milk, Salt and Vitality Peppermint Essential Oil and blend.
- Pour the pudding mixture in to a bowl, cover and refrigerate. It will already be gelling straight from the blender, but it tastes better cool. Give it at least an hour in the fridge, or longer – you can prepare the night before if you want to.
- Before you are ready to serve, make sure the pudding is a good consistency. Sometimes, I add extra coconut milk if the pudding is too thick for my taste. Feel free to add as much coconut milk as you need to make it the right consistency for you.
- For serving, you can add whatever accoutrements you like. As a kid, my Mom used to make us “pudding in a cloud”, where she would put whipped cream in the bottom of a glass, and then the pudding on top of it. I always loved that imagery, so I like to put coconut cream in the bottom of my glass, then add the pudding, then a sprinkle of ceylon cinnamon (real ceylon is sweet, don’t use if you don’t have ceylon), and some cut up berries. We happened to have some local Fall-ripe strawberries at our farmer’s market, so I used those.
- Enjoy your delicious treat!
*I use this Ninja blender, and it’s small size is perfect for the RV! It comes with a larger pitcher-style for blending too. It is not a high speed blender, but it has always done a great job for us, and we love the size and the $35.00 price.
** You only need 1 drop of the peppermint essential oil for this recipe. It is easy to get just one drop once you know the secret how to do it…
Mint Chocolate Chia Pudding Health Snapshot
Let’s look at a quick breakdown of the benefits of this chia pudding…
Chia – High in Omega 3s (the ALA form), Protein, Fiber, Antioxidants, Calcium & other minerals (More on Chia Benefits & an ALA explanation)
Coconut Milk – Healthy Fat
Coconut Sugar/Brown Sugar – Yes, they are still sugars, but they have more benefits than white sugar. Try to wean yourself off of white sugar – start with cutting back and substituting brown sugar. Sugar is an addiction, and you will feel great once you break the addiction, but you will hate it at first.
Sea Salt – Minerals (More on Sea Salt Benefits)
Vitality Peppermint Essential Oil – This is great for digestion. It is a gallbladder & digestive stimulant. Peppermint may also help with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, and to curb the appetite.
Strawberries – Antioxidants, Vitamins, Fiber
Ceylon Cinnamon – Antioxidant, Balances blood sugar levels, antimicrobial
Hope you give this recipe a try…that you love the taste and the healing benefits for your body!